1/17/07

For news related to clemson and the surrounding area.
Arne
Assassin

Post by Arne »

fastkill wrote:Well, Its possible that Duke just passed UNC on my hate list. Clemson got screwed last night. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_bkoMl-XvA
Now your talkin my language....down with the cameron crazies.
Deadbone
Gypsy.

Post by Deadbone »

Okay I know I'm about to be put on eveyone's hate list. But you cannot blame the refs for that. I mean Duke gave yall the game.

Yall let him cut down the middle Untouched! You had 4 men in the back court?

And if you want to talk about counting seconds. Look how much time ran off the clock before they "stopped" it.

Im not a Clemson hater, or a Duke lover. Just calling it the way I see it.

EDIT-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84YwwxBTLo&NR

It's funny this vid is trying to say Duke won cause of a crap call. Well with the basket that brought Clemson within 3 points, noticed when the clock stops at 5.0 seconds. Right when the ball passes through the net. However yes they are right the clock does start late. But it takes a lot longer for them to stop the clock then what it took for them to start it. Truth be told there might have actually been more time.

EDIT-
After pouring over the official ncaa mens' rules I finally found

Section 6 Article 1 a.
The ball shall become dead and remain dead when:
A.) A goal is made.

Section 9 Article 3 b.
The game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when:
B.)The ball is dead.
Last edited by Deadbone on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Dead

"No one cares how much you Know, Until they know how much you care.
fastkill
Gypsy

Post by fastkill »

The problem with this play is that there were 2 errors with the time. The clock should start when the ball is touched on the inbounds pass. The Clemson player caught the ball, stepped back a little, shot a 20 foot shot. Once the ball is through the net, the clock is supposed to stop.

Instead, the clock started when the ball went through the net and stopped way later. The refs went back and looked to see when the ball went through the net which according to the clock was with 4.4 seconds left, but the clock didn't start at the correct time.

Common sense dictates that a player can not catch a ball, step back, shoot a shot which must travel 20 feet in 0.6 seconds, but I guess that’s what happened. (My math may be off, but the ball would have to have been traveling 68 miles per hour to go 20 feet in .6 seconds)

ESPN ran this as there lead story today on Sports Center. They ran a clock side by side with the game clock and showed the correct time which should have been 2.2 seconds left in the game. There have been countless news stories about this game now and how this is becoming a common thing vs. Duke.

3 Duke Players including there center played 30 minutes plus throughout the game and never committed a foul ERRRRR never were called for a foul. There was one play with about a minute left where James Mayes hit a lay-up, and in the process McRoberts smacked him in the face trying to block the shot. There was even an official time out for Mayes to put his contact back into his eye. There was also a botched goal tending call where Clemson's shot was sitting on the rim and a Duke Player knocked the ball away.

And to top it all off, the ACC posted a statement today acknowledging the screw up, and it would be handled internally. Long story short, I really hate UNC, but I'll be pulling for them when they play Duke, and I can't wait for Duke to come to Little John. The students are already planning on wearing referee shirts and bringing cardboard clocks. Whatever happens though, it should be fun.

If you want to read something funny, here is a link to the UNC message boards. Click me Things you can do in .6 seconds in Cameron Indoor Stadium. There are 41 pages of posts from just today, but some are really funny.

Last edited by fastkill on Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deadbone
Gypsy.

Post by Deadbone »

That picture is hilarious.
-Dead

"No one cares how much you Know, Until they know how much you care.
CoopCommando
Dervish

Post by CoopCommando »

How the fuck did Clemson lose against Virginia? They were so fucking far ahead that it should have been a fucking shutout, but NOOOOOOOO. After a rough start, Clemson actually started playing good. Shouldn't have even been close.
fastkill
Gypsy

Post by fastkill »

they stopped pressing and running after the 4 minute mark or so, and tried to run the clock out. I'm sick about it.
Arne
Assassin

Post by Arne »

And to top it all off, the ACC posted a statement today acknowledging the screw up, and it would be handled internally. Long story short, I really hate UNC, but I'll be pulling for them when they play Duke, and I can't wait for Duke to come to Little John. The students are already planning on wearing referee shirts and bringing cardboard clocks. Whatever happens though, it should be fun.
And that is one of the many things that makes college ball so exciting to watch.....good shit there with the shirts and clocks haha classic.