I like books...

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
CoopCommando
Dervish

Post by CoopCommando »

Well, after the first book, the character growth (what little there was) stopped completely. If anything, Richard and all the other characters just get dumber and dumber. This phenomena is all too common and is quite depressing, because it means that the author is losing touch with the characters and is just writing to fill up space IMO.

How many people have read Eragon? I'm really wanting to read the second one but i don't remember when it is supposed to come out. The one thing i like about Eragon is that despite forced changes to the characters, they don't change who they are. They're still the same person as they were before, but just a little less ignorant/innocent, which i like.
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

Well, after the first book, the character growth (what little there was) stopped completely. If anything, Richard and all the other characters just get dumber and dumber. This phenomena is all too common and is quite depressing, because it means that the author is losing touch with the characters and is just writing to fill up space IMO.

How many people have read Eragon? I'm really wanting to read the second one but i don't remember when it is supposed to come out. The one thing i like about Eragon is that despite forced changes to the characters, they don't change who they are. They're still the same person as they were before, but just a little less ignorant/innocent, which i like.
This is why George R. R. Martin has written pretty much the best trilogy I have ever read. Well, except that his characters do change who they are over time. He could royally fuck the story up in his remaining books and this will still be true.

Similarly, Robert Jordan's first 5 books of WoT are really, really good. Then the characters turn to utter shit and it becomes a contest of how many tragic ironies can he draw between each character's relation with the opposite sex. I could still go back a re-read the first five books though.
GraaceAndWill
Assassin
Main Character: Dal

Post by GraaceAndWill »

Sword of Truth isn't all THAT bad... but yeah the first 3 were by far the best. Although, Pillars of Creation was actually a wonderful book out of that series IMO, added a new character and gave a ton of character development for her, you could pick that book out of the rest and read it and seriously hardly miss a beat so long as you read like the first 3 so you knew whom Richard etc were. I'll pick up Chainfire here shortly... one of my problems with any series is that if I liked it, I'm going to want to finish it... no matter how horrid some of the books may be.

For the record the wizard's name is Zedd.

Wheel of Time I'm trying my best to grind though... I'm ready for book 9 or 10... either way it almost makes me want to gouge my eyes out... the first 3 were good, 4 & 5 were almost as good... after that... it's generally sucked more ass than a horny prison bitch.

I like most anything Mercedes Lackey has put out. I love Valdemar... it's a good unique spin on the entire fantasy genre IMO.

Terry Brooks is continuing the Shannara series... I THINK that High Druid series will be the end of it... but not 100% sure... The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara was good... High Druid I've not decided my stance on yet.
Where there is virtual man ass, there you shall find me.
agrymnbrother
Denden

Post by agrymnbrother »

Has anyone ever read any of Neil Gaiman's stuff? American Gods and Neverwhere were both excellent. Gaiman's work in the comic industry is enjoyable as well. Everyone that says comic books are not literary works should read the Sandman.
Gilmore
Assassin

Post by Gilmore »

I absolutely loved Neverwhere. It was lent to me by a friend after one of the Cthulhu games that he was storyteller for used the concept of us slowly disappearing from society as we learned more about the dark arts. Very very good book,and I've been meaning to borrow more of his stuff from my friend's collection.
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned.
Zaklu
Assbag

Post by Zaklu »

Kinda a dead topic, but the Nightside series by Simon R. Green are also very good. It's kinda like a detecive novel with a Cthulhu-ish bent. Basically, there is a solid square kilometer (who knows for sure? It's been reputed to grow as needed) inside London that is the most twisted place in the world. The best way to describe it is a dimensional crossroads. The whole series is excellent. I can lend any of the books to anyone as needed if you want to read them (don't have time for them anyways. Damn summer reading *grumble*)
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

Zaklu wrote: Basically, there is a solid square kilometer (who knows for sure? It's been reputed to grow as needed) inside London that is the most twisted place in the world.
Must be in the East End.
Zaklu
Assbag

Post by Zaklu »

Actually, they reveal it's real location. China town.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

That is about a block away. I consider that close enough, and probably a feint.
SKoRPioN
Dervish

Post by SKoRPioN »

Some of my favorite books of all time include:
Stephen King: It, The Stand, Pet Cemetery
Isaac Asimov: Foundation Series
Michael Chriton: Congo, Timeline, Andromeda Strain
Dan Brown: Angels and Demons, The DiVinci Code (must read stuff here)
Tom Clancy: Red Storm Rising (amazing book)

Tons of other shit I can't think of. Personally though, I really dig Horror, Sci Fi and Thriller novels the best. Although the occasional comedy, like Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy is good as well.
Skorpion- 60 Troll Rogue
Traskar- 60 Undead Warlock
Kryos - 60 Tauren Druid
Vengnce
Denden

Post by Vengnce »

Faith of the Fallen is one of the best books I have ever read (Sword of Truth).
GraaceAndWill
Assassin

Post by GraaceAndWill »

Vengnce wrote:Faith of the Fallen is one of the best books I have ever read (Sword of Truth).
/agree

Chainfire was a lot better than I expected. Chainfire + Phantom (unreleased yet) + untitled are supposedly to be the trilogy to end the Sword of Truth series... This series while good by and large, has some books that just kinda fall flat or just outright preach to the reader over and over and over... and he tends to go back and give most everything a once-over in every book... "this person did that back when...blah blah"
CoopCommando
Dervish

Post by CoopCommando »

I like the first Sword of Truth book... the 2nd one was alright... and the 3rd one was just bad. The characters stopped changing except that they got continually stupider.
GraaceAndWill
Assassin

Post by GraaceAndWill »

Funny you should mention that, I came to start disliking the core characters and liking everyone else... Nicci, Cara, Adie, Nathan, Jensen...