I like books...

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

New Spring is not supposed to be the first book in the series. Start with The Eye of the World. It is a good book.
Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

Yes, but new spring was so bad i really don't want to read the rest. What did he just all of a sudden start sucking or something??
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity

Phelps McManus
Caliph

Post by Phelps McManus »

He fades into sucking beginning in book 5 and growing exponentially with each release. Though New Spring > Crossroads of Twilight.
In vino veritas.

Liltyger
Gypsy

Post by Liltyger »

New spring is back story for people already deep into the series, sorry you started with that. Anyway Ves I think you'd enjoy Martin better anyway.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

I'd say I wasn't disappointed with Jordan until book 7.

Book 10 is so indescribably bad that it retroactively makes me hate the last 3 books.
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

That was only because you were in denial at the time. In retrospect, you realize he started sucking in book 5. New Spring was just Jordan selling out even more by adding fluff to a short story he wrote awhile back and selling it as a book.

I hated the last 3 books when I finished book 9. Book 10 is in a category of suck all to itself and I dare anyone to argue otherwise.

If you really want to know how bad it is... when book 11 comes out I will wait for Payndar to read it first. If I hear it was not good (like he told me after he finished book 10), I won't even bother with it, just like I didn't bother with New Spring. I am done throwing my money away on his unentertaining, rambling garbage.

Oh and fuck Raph Koster!
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

No I still like Books 5 and 6.

I like book 5 more than I did at the time, actually.
Wulfheart
Assbag

Post by Wulfheart »

I always thought of WoT as a kind of LoTR for Dummies. I mean "Dark Friends" WTF???

Good books though, I've read up to Crossroads of Twilight. Shame the series has gone to shit, the books keep getting shorter and less interesting. Last WoT book I saw on the shelves looked more like a hardcover magazine than a novel.

I think the whole New White Tower storyline is what ruined the series. Jordan is focusing way too much on it. Who the hell wants to read 300 pages of bitching about stale biscuits, uncomfortable furniture, and snotty preistess'? There is so much potential for a good story there, it just seems that Jordan is a) trying to stretch it out as long as possible or b) ran out of steam and dosent know what direction to take his writing.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Any Jordan chapter that focuses on a female main character is suspect, and damn near awful if it is after the 4th book.
Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

Any Jordan chapter that focuses on a female main character is suspect
New spring = all but 2 chapters about females. Other two chapters are about Lan which where good.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity

Mykel
Denden

/musings

Post by Mykel »

David Eddings / The belgariad series is great and the stand alone books Belgarath and Polgara books.

WOT was good but when the point was hit of Nyaneve tugs her braids and folds her hands over breasts. Every fucking third page it seems the series got tiresome.

I really reccomend the Scions of Shannara and the following books in that series.

Get library cards you losahs P

Terry Goodkind the Sword of Truth series is good as well.

probably have more to add after I think on it a bit. I have read a few books in my time P
CoopCommando
Dervish

Post by CoopCommando »

Yah, the Belgariad was great, although i read it so long ago i have forgotten all but the best parts. The stand alones were equally as great and especially the Polgara book.

The Sword of Truth books were good until book 3. I don't know, but after that Robert just became retarded, along with every other character. Also, Zeb (i think it's Zeb) the wizard, who is be far the coolest character in the books, stops showing up, ever, which annoyed me.

Any book by Michael Stackpole is a winner in my book. He has great control of his time dynamics and i feel builds up well to all of his climaxes. Also, the only characters in his books i hate are the ones you're supposed to hate. If anyone can ever find a book called "Once a Hero" by Stackpole, check it out, buy it, steal it, etc. because it was the best book i've ever read.
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

Robert = Richard?

Zeb, sadly, IS the coolest character of those books. He is like some bad copy of Fizban from Dragonlance... minus being a God and all..
CoopCommando
Dervish

Post by CoopCommando »

Yah, Richard.

Why is it that as series progress, the main characters get dumber and dumber? I just don't understand.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

I stopped reading at the gratuitous (and bad) bondage garbage.

What is the point of Fizban without being a God? Doddering old wizard as coolest character means awful series IMO.