HD DVD is here

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
Ves
Caliph

HD DVD is here

Post by Ves »

And what are the launch movies.

Serenity

The Last Samurai

The Phantom of the Opera

The forth title
Million Dollar Baby was delayed.

Now I am a big firefly fan now but I still can't justify $500 for a player Toshiba HD-A1.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity

Mallaien
Dervish

Post by Mallaien »

yea but there are thoes out there that will sell there family to have the next big thing. but they are allso the same people with a closet full of the many failed media standards.

when the blue ray comes out it will take over, its a scientific fact, may not be right away. Blue ray will work because it can store the HD more effiently because it wont have to compress as much. Fact: blue has a smaller wave length the red, more information can be placed on a disk with blue rather then red. Add commpression from red technology to the allready space cramming blue laser, and you can see why blue will win out in the long run.
Hkat
Caliph

Post by Hkat »

Serenity is a great choice. Fucking awesome movie.

Today's Penny Arcade strip explains why Phantom of the Opera was one of the first 3 as well. link

But why The Last Samuri? /boggle
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

Hkat wrote:But why The Last Samuri? /boggle
Because if there's one thing that's become increasingly obvious over the last 12 months, it's that the world needs more Tom Cruise.
Xolo - Level 67 Undead Priest
Rho - Level 47 Troll Mage
Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

Sony backed the Betamax which went down in flame because the VHS had more people making movies for the format. The same will happen to Blu-ray. People don't care about quality as much as they care about what movies they can get on the format. Also the general public will understand that HD DVD is High Def DVDs. They see Blu-ray and they will be puzzled as to what it is. Remember the public is the type of person that calls tech support not the one doing the support.

Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

Zolo wrote:
Because if there's one thing that's become increasingly obvious over the last 12 months, it's that the world needs more Tom Cruise.
On a side note, please everyone boycott MI:3.

Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

Ves wrote:Sony backed the Betamax which went down in flame because the VHS had more people making movies for the format.
This, of course, was caused by JVC's widespread licensing of the VHS technology to other manufacturers, while Sony held on to BetaMax and tried to corner the market alone.

I haven't studied this round of the format wars well enough, but I can't imagine that Sony was stupid enough to repeat the same mistake.
"We're family friendly. So long as your family sits around the hearth at night getting nostalgic about beastiality and honey-laced rimjobs." - Gilmore
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

Ves wrote:On a side note, please everyone boycott MI:3.
While I do hate me some Tom Cruise, supposedly MI:3 is supposed to be real good.

J.J. Abrams cancels out Cruise in my book. After making Lost on ABC he deserves some loyalty from me until he squanders it. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Chris Carter).
"We're family friendly. So long as your family sits around the hearth at night getting nostalgic about beastiality and honey-laced rimjobs." - Gilmore
Hkat
Caliph

Post by Hkat »

Zolo wrote:
Please pass the placenta
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

Payndar Circusdorf wrote:
Ves wrote:On a side note, please everyone boycott MI:3.
While I do hate me some Tom Cruise, supposedly MI:3 is supposed to be real good.

J.J. Abrams cancels out Cruise in my book. After making Lost on ABC he deserves some loyalty from me until he squanders it. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Chris Carter).
I have to agree. Also, Philip Seymour Hoffman is a fine actor and I'm interested to see if how well he can pull off playing the "action movie bad guy" role. Still, I'll probably wait and read a couple reviews on it before I decide whether to see it or not.
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

Apparently that was a joke that was misreported and then mass-replicated throughout all the Internet news outlets. Here's the BBC follow-up of him saying "Ummm, no...".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4918012.stm
Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

What he needs to do is calm the fuck down and stop saying the first thing that comes to his dumb ass mind.

Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

Mallaien wrote:when the blue ray comes out it will take over, its a scientific fact, may not be right away. Blue ray will work because it can store the HD more effiently because it wont have to compress as much. Fact: blue has a smaller wave length the red, more information can be placed on a disk with blue rather then red. Add commpression from red technology to the allready space cramming blue laser, and you can see why blue will win out in the long run.
All for the low, low price of $1100!

Personally, I won't touch an HD player for at least the next 6 months. That should give me time to see which standard will win out. If it is still a tossup, I will wait until November and get a PS3 which also plays blu-ray movies.
This is the Colbert Report. And for our foreign viewers, THIS IS THE COLBERT REPORT!
Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

I didn't buy a DVD player until I got my PS2 which wasn't the best DVD player in the world. DVD's didn't like to be played vertically the way my PS2 was sitting. I will never buy the PS3 since its price tag is going to be astounding and the only console games I play anymore are ROMs from the SNES.