/wave Roe v. Wade

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
Ves
Caliph

/wave Roe v. Wade

Post by Ves »

Link to a safehouse discussion about the new South Dakota law outlawing abortions in that state.

http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/show ... hp?t=23006
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity

Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

I will be extremely surprised if this goes to the Supreme Court.

Edit: Unless Justice Stevens finally dies while this is working its way up. If this is hanging out there he may never retire until it goes away.

Edit 2: I say this because whatever trial court hears it will have to strike the law down as unconstitutional (under Roe) and whatever circuit court is over SD will have to do the same.

For the Supreme Court to hear it, 4 of the 9 justices have to vote to hear the case. Scalia and Thomas will vote for sure, and maybe Alito. Roberts is an unknown. Breyer, Ginsburg, and Stevens will definitely vote not to hear the case. Kennedy and Souter (along with O'Connor) wrote Casey v. Planned Parenthood, which mostly upheld Roe. So they clearly are not going to vote to hear it.

So the question is, with Stevens on the court, will Alito AND Roberts vote to hear a case that stands no chance of overturning Roe? If they do hear it, and the other 5 vote to uphold Roe, they have reinforced the right to abortion and shot the Pro-life movement in the face.

Essentially this is a strong gamble by South Dakota that Stevens will be off the court before Bush leaves office. I am not convinced that will happen.
Last edited by Payndar Circusdorf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We're family friendly. So long as your family sits around the hearth at night getting nostalgic about beastiality and honey-laced rimjobs." - Gilmore
Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

South Dakota is the first but not the only state to consider new abortion restrictions this year. Ohio, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky have introduced similar measures.
Anyone else see the trend of trailer trash states? That's what they need no abortion so they can get more government money to take care of their 10 or more kids. Thanks, Tax burdon.

Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Abortion is often thought of as a blight on the poor but oddly enough it is absolutely rampant among the middle class.
"We're family friendly. So long as your family sits around the hearth at night getting nostalgic about beastiality and honey-laced rimjobs." - Gilmore
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

Payndar Circusdorf wrote:Abortion is often thought of as a blight on the poor but oddly enough it is absolutely rampant among the middle class.
I imagine mainly due to unwanted teen-ager and twenty-something pregnancies, who don't want to completely fuck over their chances of a good college education or a good job.
Xolo - Level 67 Undead Priest
Rho - Level 47 Troll Mage
Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

Payndar Circusdorf wrote: before Bush leaves office.
What makes you think a republican will not be in the executive branch after Bush. I for one see the Democrats to be completely lacking in any national appeal and unless they get a solid running person (not Hillary Clinton, so fucking dumb) for the election they are doomed.

Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

At this point it's a crapshoot as to which party will win in 08. 2 and a half years leaves a lot of time for events.

If you tried to convince anyone in February of 1991 that there would be a Democrat elected in 1992, they would have laughed for days.

Edit: For a party with no national appeal, they lost Florida (and therefore the election) by a razor margin in 2000 and lost Ohio (and therefore the election) by not much in 2004.

If the Democrats had any kind of leadership, they would demolish the Republicans in mid-term elections this fall. That may turn out to not happen though, since the Democratic leadership is a clowncar of buffoons.
Last edited by Payndar Circusdorf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

Ves wrote:
Payndar Circusdorf wrote: before Bush leaves office.
What makes you think a republican will not be in the executive branch after Bush. I for one see the Democrats to be completely lacking in any national appeal and unless they get a solid running person (not Hillary Clinton, so fucking dumb) for the election they are doomed.
I don't have a problem with most Republicans even though I do tend to lean Democrat. Hell, I'd vote for John McCain in a heartbeat if he could actually win a primary. But Bush ... I just can't fucking STAND the idiot. If fucking Jeb ever got in the White House I think I'd have to slit my wrists.
Xolo - Level 67 Undead Priest
Rho - Level 47 Troll Mage
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Zolo wrote: I don't have a problem with most Republicans even though I do tend to lean Democrat. Hell, I'd vote for John McCain in a heartbeat if he could actually win a primary. But Bush ... I just can't fucking STAND the idiot. If fucking Jeb ever got in the White House I think I'd have to slit my wrists.
McCain won New Hampshire in 2000's primary season. But he got utterly ass-owned in South Carolina and will lose there again unless he has the explicit backing of Bush, who's ass he has overtly kissed for the last 3 years or so probably for that explicit reason.

I was greatly saddened to see the Straight Talk Express run out of gas in my own state but that is the way of things there.