Hopefully SUVs will go the way of the dodo now ...

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
Zolo
Caliph

Hopefully SUVs will go the way of the dodo now ...

Post by Zolo »

Xolo - Level 67 Undead Priest
Rho - Level 47 Troll Mage
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

Don't tell Kabol.
"We're family friendly. So long as your family sits around the hearth at night getting nostalgic about beastiality and honey-laced rimjobs." - Gilmore
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

Welcome to the 1970's.
This is the Colbert Report. And for our foreign viewers, THIS IS THE COLBERT REPORT!
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

Kabol wrote:Welcome to the 1970's.
That oil shortage was artificially induced. This one will simply be a case of supply not keeping up with demand.
GraaceAndWill
Assassin
Main Character: Dal

Post by GraaceAndWill »

Wonder what'll happen first... economic collapse or alternative fuel sources supplied in time to prevent the collapse.

Common sense does say we're eventually gonna run out of oil and the way the costs of my energy bills have gone up, by about double, does seem to point toward things not being all happy.
Where there is virtual man ass, there you shall find me.
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

[quote="GraaceAndWill"]Wonder what'll happen first... economic collapse or alternative fuel sources supplied in time to prevent the collapse.

Common sense does say we're eventually gonna run out of oil and the way the costs of my energy bills have gone up, by about double, does seem to point toward things not being all happy.[/quote

I am not sure what is so "common sense" about it. Combustion consumes the gas while Photosynthesis produces it. I wonder how long before we eliminate the middle man (plants) and just synthesize it ourselves.

Simple supply and demand issues I can believe, but how much of the high price you are paying today is going into some corporation's pocket? How much is due to some short-term, possibly fabricated, shortage?
This is the Colbert Report. And for our foreign viewers, THIS IS THE COLBERT REPORT!
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

Kabol wrote: I am not sure what is so "common sense" about it. Combustion consumes the gas while Photosynthesis produces it. I wonder how long before we eliminate the middle man (plants) and just synthesize it ourselves.
I'm no chemist, but I'd bet there's a conservation of energy problem here. Don't forget that it takes millions of years and a LOT of energy to make oil naturally. While I'm sure it is possible (or could be possible) to synthesize oil or gasoline, there is no way that it could be produced in mass quantities as cheaply as how oil is refined. So synthetically-produced oil would cost as much as alternative fuel sources, and would harm the environment just as badly as natural oil would.
Kabol wrote: Simple supply and demand issues I can believe, but how much of the high price you are paying today is going into some corporation's pocket? How much is due to some short-term, possibly fabricated, shortage?
Are oil companies lining their pockets with extra cash? You bet. Is there a fabricated shortage? Maybe, although I seriously doubt they're holding back that much. The point is that people are living in a daydream if they think we'll be able to sustain a supply to meet the exponentially-increasing demand in the world. Don't forget that, in addition to the increasing population in the U.S., other nations are developing economically at a rapid rate. And their demand for the world's oil is growing just as fast, if not faster, than ours is.
m0nky
Denden

Post by m0nky »

just learn to teleport...

BAMPH!!
Can I be a mongoose dog?!?