Preacher:

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
Gilmore
Assassin

Preacher:

Post by Gilmore »

Not so much a book as a comic, but definitely great. Knowing that half of the guys around here are as open-minded as I am about trying new comics, I was looking for some ideas for new series to pick up and also seeing if anyone else had heard of/read the Preacher series yet. I'm taking my time with it since I know that there are only 9 books to it, and just bought and devoured #4 last night.

Anyway, will check back ASAP. <3.
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned.
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

I'm in the middle of the Powers series by Brian Michael Bendis right now. It's in a similar vein as The Watchmen. It's about two homicide detectives trying to solve crimes in a city filled with superheroes and supervillains. It's really good.

Other graphic novel series I've enjoyed (and yes, I did enjoy Preacher -- still haven't read the last one though) are Sandman (of course), Swamp Thing, Mage, Bone, and some of the Batman: Year One stuff. There's other individual ones I've loved, like The Watchmen and The Crow (WAY better than the movie).
Xolo - Level 67 Undead Priest
Rho - Level 47 Troll Mage
Phelps McManus
Caliph

Post by Phelps McManus »

Powers is really really good.
In vino veritas.

Hkat
Caliph

Post by Hkat »

Preacher is fucking AWESOME.

Go choke yourself
Primus662
Assassin
Main Character: Dobbah

Post by Primus662 »

Preacher, Y the Last Man, Fables, Powers, Hellblazer, Rising Stars, 100 Bullets, Walking Dead, anything by Brian Michael Bendis or J. Michael Stryzynsky(sp), the list of great titles goes on and on. All of the ones I listed before can be found in trade form for easy reading.
Hasson Chop!
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

So many graphic novels. You know a real novel comes out next week (11/8) that you should be interested in: George R. R. Martin's 4th installment of the A Song of Fire and Ice.
This is the Colbert Report. And for our foreign viewers, THIS IS THE COLBERT REPORT!
Zolo
Caliph

Post by Zolo »

Yeah, I need to get that. I probably won't have time to read it until I go home for Thanksgiving and have a week without work and WoW.
Xolo - Level 67 Undead Priest
Rho - Level 47 Troll Mage
Gilmore
Assassin

Post by Gilmore »

I was thinking of picking up Hellblazer, I'll see what else catches my eye of those listed. Thanks for the list, guys :)
Clayvis
Assbag

Post by Clayvis »

Preacher rocks. Powers rocks. I highly suggest 100 Bullets.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

Kabol wrote:So many comic books. You know a real novel comes out next week.
/fixed.

/runs.
"We're family friendly. So long as your family sits around the hearth at night getting nostalgic about beastiality and honey-laced rimjobs." - Gilmore
Gilmore
Assassin

Post by Gilmore »

My buddy Josh and I hit the comic store last night and made a few selections. They didn't have the first book of Hellblazer, so we're just going to grab it from DCDirect soon-ish. For now, we're trading Preachers 6 & 7 and The Invisibles, while I read his Sandman collection. I saw 100 Bullets there, and Powers as well, but we're gonna try to nail down these few first. All we have are work and comics, so I doubt it'll be long.

Oh, also: Has anyone heard of one called Chosen? I think it's only three comics long, and I remember a friend telling me about it a few months back. I didn't see it at the store or I'd have picked it up since it was supposed to be a short series. Guess I'll have to hop on Google for it later, but was wondering if anyone else would recommend it.
Gilmore
Assassin

Post by Gilmore »

Gilmore
Assassin

Post by Gilmore »

I finally met up with my buddy Chris at a party last night (my first night I've taken off since starting this job... Sooo damn fun :)), and he saddled me down with all kinds of great ideas. He's definitely my resident comic guru around here, and I thought I'd pass along some of his suggestions.

He recommended a comic called Wanted, which is real short. It's only one trade paperback, and I read it today: Very very good.

He mentioned a few others, but I can't endorse them with a clear conscience without reading them myself. However, knowing his tastes and knowing how on the mark he often is, here you go anyway. Maybe some of you can comment on these anyway:

The Ultimates
The Dark Knight Returns
Welcome Back, Frank
Ghostrider

Welcome Back, Frank is supposed to be Ennis and Dillon's take on the Punisher series, and I can't really remember what he said specifically about the other ones. He confirmed your suggestion of 100 Bullets, but I couldn't remember any others besides Powers to ask him about. Looks like I'm gonna grab 100 Bullets after I finish Sandman, Chosen, and this last Preacher comic that I'm about to go start now.

Thanks for letting me come banter as always. I was really thinking of you guys last night, it was a bunch of us nerds with way too much alcohol and with nothing but comic book talk to fill the night. Ah well, will check back soon.