The Wheel of Time

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
GraaceAndWill
Assassin
Main Character: Dal

Post by GraaceAndWill »

Mat, Faile, and Nynaeve were the only characters of interest after the first book or two. And the first two are scarce as hell afterward it seemed. I'm tempted to attempt to pick the series back up but everytime I try to reread the first 20 pages of book 9 I fall asleep, and completely can't remember anything that happened in the last 3.

Not that it matters, I have a ton of books I just bought that I need to read anyway. Went to halfpriced books and found a few books I've been looking for. Took me forever to find Kilobyte by Piers Anthony... I need to catch up on my Mercedes Lackey and Terry Brooks just came out with a new series... I've not read Terry Goodkind's Phantom yet...
Last edited by GraaceAndWill on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where there is virtual man ass, there you shall find me.
Yo
Caliph
Main Character: Tubber

Post by Yo »

If you like Robert Jordan books, you'll like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Renshai-Tril ... F8&s=books

If you hate fantasy or Norse mythology, you'll hate it. So don't read it.
Phelps McManus
Caliph

Post by Phelps McManus »

Everyone that likes GRRM would like The Great Book of Amber. I just finished it and it is really really good. Its a bit political in nature (like ASOIAF), but its very very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Book-Amber- ... F8&s=books
In vino veritas.

Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

GraaceAndWill wrote:Mat, Faile, and Nynaeve were the only characters of interest after the first book or two.
I just vomited in my mouth a little... Faile and Nynaeve? You may as well throw Elayne (or maybe Perrin from books 9 and 10) in there for the trifecta of hideous literary characters.

Actually, all of the male characters are OK until they get ruined by colliding with females (fuck you, Pattern). Perrin's story is good for awhile after meeting Faile, but quickly drops off after his stint in the Two Rivers. And by drops off, I mean he becomes physically painful to read about. Each page is like turning a vice.

Mat's is good until he teams up with the terrible trio and again when he meets up with whats-her-face in the last 2 books.

Hell, towards the end I am not sure if there were any characters left that I still enjoyed reading about. Maybe Egwene.
This is the Colbert Report. And for our foreign viewers, THIS IS THE COLBERT REPORT!
Jan
Caliph
Main Character: Janet

Post by Jan »

Egwene has to be the only character of Jordan's with a pair of X chromosomes that doesn't make me want to reach into the book and slap her.

He says he models his female characters after his wife -- then it's a wonder he hasn't filed for divorce yet.

Oh, and Moiraine was cool too. Hopefully Thom won't turn into a loser when he gets her out of Finnland.
Last edited by Jan on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phelps McManus
Caliph

Post by Phelps McManus »

Maybe these kind of females make your bones turn to liquid?
In vino veritas.

Jan
Caliph
Main Character: Janet

Post by Jan »

Then with three of them at once, it's a wonder Rand hasn't spontaneously liquefied.
GraaceAndWill
Assassin
Main Character: Dal

Post by GraaceAndWill »

Kabol wrote:
GraaceAndWill wrote:Mat, Faile, and Nynaeve were the only characters of interest after the first book or two.
I just vomited in my mouth a little... Faile and Nynaeve? You may as well throw Elayne (or maybe Perrin from books 9 and 10) in there for the trifecta of hideous literary characters.
Elayne got dull quick. Faile did too after Two Rivers, but keep in mind that it all turned into drowsy reading and not comprehending or caring. Perrin's a whipped bitch and pathetic from the get-go. Nynaeve I found kinda humorous and was thinking her fun, although the tugging on the braid and that entire deal with Lan just sucked and was boring.
Where there is virtual man ass, there you shall find me.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

Kabol wrote:Actually, all of the male characters are OK until they get ruined by colliding with females
By far the most realistic feature of his work.
"We're family friendly. So long as your family sits around the hearth at night getting nostalgic about beastiality and honey-laced rimjobs." - Gilmore