Fahrenheit 9/11

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
Yo
Caliph
Main Character: Tubber

Fahrenheit 9/11

Post by Yo »

I can't tell you how deep my hatred for Michael Moore runs, but here's a good article about this new piece of crap film.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

I mentioned this in my thread "Stupid Tax". Unlike the author of this article, at least I am literate.
I used privately to hope that the emphasis, if the comrades ever got around to it, would be on the first of those and not the second.
I used privately to hope that my sentences would one day make sense, and now they do.

I thought the danger of success on either front was infinitely slight.
Infinitesimal even.
Nonetheless, it seems that an answer to this long-felt need is finally beginning to emerge.
Are we in high school again? Let me add some more filler sentences to reach my 500 word requirement, so I can get teh A.
Here we glimpse a possible fusion between the turgid routines of MoveOn.org and the filmic standards, if not exactly the filmic skills, of Sergei Eisenstein or Leni Riefenstahl.
While I appreciate being introduced to new words like "turgid", I feel precious brain matter is being occupied by the adjective "filmic".

Ahh fuck it. This is worse than reading Payndar's generated post. Either this guy generated the post with a more complex algorithm than Payn's, he is a retard with a thesaurus and a lot of free time, or he is usually smart and wrote this article while he was high.

Other than that, I agree 100%.
Yo
Caliph

Post by Yo »

Haha!
The articles here are usually written up on a whim and never proofread.
They used privately hope that you simply get the message.
Yo
Caliph

Post by Yo »

My favorite part from Bowling with Columbine was when he asked why there is a low crime rate in Canada. I say "lack of poverty (which I think poverty-based jealousy is a huge part of crime), which also means the poverty prone black man will not be common in Canada."

Michael Moore immediately says "I bet you think its cause there are no black people in Canada. There's plenty of them in Canada. Here's a black family enjoying the park here today."

I say "I bet that guy isn't even from Canada."

At the end of the film, they are interviewing the exact black guy from the family there in Canada and he says "I'm up here visiting from Detroit."

So much hatred for Michael Moore!

BTW Chris Rock says that Canada has a low crime rate, cause it's too cold for a brotha up there.
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

No one can say there isn't a correlation between black population and crime rate. Our jails aren't filled predominately with blacks because police are prejudice.

I think it has to do more with society (peer pressure), lack of education, and, thusly, poverty than anything remotely related to genetics.

And in some cases poverty is a cop out. Drug related crimes aren't about poverty, they are about addiction and greed.

Anyway, whatever you say about Michael Moore (I would probably agree with it), he is cashing in because of all this debate.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

Drug related crimes are very much related to poverty.

Poor people use drugs far, far more (statistically) than their wealthier counterparts.
Wiccor Basquet
Dervish
Main Character: Wiccor

Post by Wiccor Basquet »

I'd like to see you argue that point with Whitney Houston.
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

Do they use drugs because they are poor or are they poor because they use drugs? Or are they poor because they uneducated? Do they use drugs because they are uneducated?

Maybe their parents used drugs (which made them poor). Maybe their friends use drugs and live in the same ghetto where drugs are readily available as opposed to a suburbean neighborhood.

Draw whatever conclusions you want from the statistics. I still say poverty is a cop out. Giving them more money isn't going to help anyone.
Yo
Caliph

Post by Yo »

Whitney Houston didn't say she didn't do drugs. She just said that she didn't do crack. "Crack is for poor ni***rs."
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Kabol wrote:Do they use drugs because they are poor or are they poor because they use drugs? Or are they poor because they uneducated? Do they use drugs because they are uneducated?

Maybe their parents used drugs (which made them poor). Maybe their friends use drugs and live in the same ghetto where drugs are readily available as opposed to a suburbean neighborhood.

Draw whatever conclusions you want from the statistics. I still say poverty is a cop out. Giving them more money isn't going to help anyone.
I'm not suggesting that giving them money will make a difference.

I'm just pointing out that there is a huge correlation with poverty and drug use, especially among minorities.

The way to counter that is not by throwing money to them, but by engaging them in education and cutting the impact of media that glorify crime and drug use, such as Rap music (damn young people's music!).
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

Whitney Houston said, and I quote, "Crack is whack."
The way to counter that is not by throwing money to them, but by engaging them in education and cutting the impact of media that glorify crime and drug use, such as Rap music (damn young people's music!).
Word.

Actually, what are you countering? Drug use? Fuck it. Why do we have controlled substances anyway? Poor people drink a lot too. During prohibition, the crime rate surrounding alcohol trafficking was high. Now it isn't (I mean crimes like murder, extortion, etc. not Texarcana-Atlanta smuggling and DUI).

Legalize it all so we can at least collect the taxes off of it instead of making thugs wealthy. Just make sure that drug use voids health insurance policies.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Would you also legalize psychotropic drugs like LSD, which have flashbacks at random, years after their use?

Don't forget that drugs like cocaine and heroin have neurological impacts orders of magnitude stronger than alcohol.

Before we legalize drugs here I'd like to see them legalized, totally, some other place so we can see the effect it has on them, and the successive generation.

This does not apply to weed. I fucking hate weed, and the smell of it, but that goes for tobacco too. Weed is not the brain-destroying scythe that coke and heroin, etc. are.
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

Legalized drugs would have to comply to FDA regulations. Whatever company decides to sell crack better be ready for the lawsuits that follow when people die, claim addiction, etc.

What you will see is marketing of the milder drugs (weed) and research into making less addictive/deadly versions of the more potent ones. With shit like that out there for lower prices, why would you by the fucked up shit from dealers?
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

Kabol wrote:Legalized drugs would have to comply to FDA regulations. Whatever company decides to sell crack better be ready for the lawsuits that follow when people die, claim addiction, etc.

What you will see is marketing of the milder drugs (weed) and research into making less addictive/deadly versions of the more potent ones. With shit like that out there for lower prices, why would you by the fucked up shit from dealers?
I'm not sure what country you live in, but in mine, the drugs currently sold aren't FDA legal and people still buy them and kill for them.

There are already less addictive/deadly versions of those drugs, and they are used by heavily controlled prescriptions.

And people still buy them and kill for them.
Kabol
Caliph

Post by Kabol »

I'm not sure what country you live in, but in mine, the drugs currently sold aren't FDA legal and people still buy them and kill for them.
Why would I be promoting the legalization of drugs if they were already FDA legal? Of course they aren't.
There are already less addictive/deadly versions of those drugs, and they are used by heavily controlled prescriptions.

And people still buy them and kill for them.
Again, if there was a legal, cheap alternative (which marijauna easily could be) then this problem goes away. People kill for what they can't get normally. In poorer countries, maybe you get killed for a loaf of bread. In the 80's and 90's Nike produced shoes that were so ridiculously expensive that people were killed for them.

Make it so bread is cheap and schools have uniforms that include cheaper shoes, and guess how many people die in crimes related to those products? Zero.

Make a cheaper, legal way for people to get high and you will see a similar decrease in drug-related crimes.