He fought to save the world

A place for the public to come and bitch to us.
Payndar Circusdorf
Caliph

He fought to save the world

Post by Payndar Circusdorf »

-------
At 19, James escaped the turmoil at home by joining the Canadian army, becoming a lieutenant in artillery. He was among the Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day. "The sea was rough," he recalled. "We were more afraid of drowning than the Germans."

The Canadians crossed a minefield laid for tanks; the soldiers weren't heavy enough to detonate the bombs. At 11:30 that night, he was machine-gunned, taking six hits: one that took off his middle right finger (he managed to hide the missing finger on screen), four in his leg and one in the chest. The chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case.
--------

He later went on to play a scotsman on a TV show.

I met him in real life (at a convention, of course) and got his autograph. He was very down to earth (ironic, given what he was known for) and was very friendly, unlike Shatner who was a tool. He was a great guy and he will be missed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/2 ... index.html
Ves
Caliph

Post by Ves »

Almost cried when I saw the report during lunch. Too bad he was type cast, but at least he embrased it and was nice to trekkies. Im staring at you Shatner you prick.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity

Jan
Caliph
Main Character: Janet

Post by Jan »

He's dead, Jim. =(
Hezin
Caliph
Main Character: Trilan

Post by Hezin »

Sad day indeed. I promise I won't bash Canadians today in honor of him.
Life is easier when you just don't give a damn.